After studying this chapter, the student will be able to:
- Describe the chemical processing industry.
- Describe the significant events of the safety movement.
- Classify the safety roles and responsibilities of process technicians.
- Identify the basic principles of safety.
- Describe the general safety rules used in the industry.
- Explain the difference between the terms process safety and occupational safety and health.
- Explain the key elements of safety.
- Describe the basic elements of a hazard analysis.
- Explain the typical permits used by the chemical processing industry.
- List the various types of firefighting equipment.
- Describe the principles associated with production, transportation, and storage of chemicals.
- Describe the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Describe Process Safety Management.
- Identify the key elements of HAZCOM.
Read and Watch
Read Chapter 1 from the textbook.
Watch the following videos:
- Complete the homework associated with the reading.
- Complete the class activity.
- Complete the activity quiz (below).
- Complete the chapter quiz.
Respond to the questions below.